Monday, February 11, 2013

Tempeh Tikka Masala





So, I'll confess right up front - this comes from the McCormick Recipe Inspirations spice pack/recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala.  I switched it up a bit, of course. You might have most of the necessary spices in your cupboard already, but buying a one-meal spice pack is a good way to find out if you like a spice or spice blend you haven't tried before, like garam masala (which translates to "hot mixture").  I know I like it now and won't be afraid to buy a container of it to use again in this recipe and others. 

Serves 4

2 tsp paprika
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional - this dish is pretty spicy!)
2 Tbsp Earth Balance buttery spread
12 oz tempeh, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium onions, chopped
2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
1-1/2 cup marinara sauce (or diced tomatoes)
1/3 cup almond-cashew cream (or other non-dairy cream)
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter in a large skillet over low-medium heat.  Add tempeh chunks, onion, and lemon juice; cook and stir until onions are transparent, adding a little water if necessary.





Add all of the spices, stir, and cook for 1 minute.




Stir in marinara/tomatoes, then the cream and salt. 

Simmer until heated through. 

I simply served this over quinoa...




....but the second night I added in a layer of fresh baby spinach and baked sweet potato chunks (the sweetness helped cut some of the heat, along with adding to the delicious factor). 



 

2 comments:

  1. I made it right now and it was delicious. It was my first time using garM masala and tempeh. I omitted paprika, salt, almond cream. I used sesame seed oil and added mushroom and green bell pepper. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, and your additions sound delish!

    ReplyDelete