Monday, September 16, 2013

Makin' Whoopie, Gluten-Free Style



I haven't had a whoopie pie in...probably 4 years.  I've had some of the most delicious food of my life since becoming vegan; but let's face it - I never thought I would have a real, indulgent, cakey, cream-filled, rich, I-shouldn't-have-eaten-that-whole-thing whoopie pie again. 

I thought wrong. 

I set out to make vegan whoopie today, and since my few adventures with gluten-free baking have resulted in a this-is-even-better-than-with-wheat-flour outcome, I went GF to boot.  These pies are moist, rich, and dark like my favorite chocolate cake.

I filled mine with a simple whipped coconut cream, because I was never wild about the over-the-top sugar and shortening thing (or the belly-full-of-yuck-feeling after the fact), but I'm originally from the Live Free or Die state, so stuff these puppies with whatcha like. 

Makin' Whoopie (makes about seven 3-1/2-inch, filled pies):

Preheat oven to 350.  Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. 

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl:
1-1/2 cups white rice flour
1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xantham gum

Beat wet ingredients in separate bowl:
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance buttery spread (or more coconut oil), at room temperature
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/8 cup almond milk & 1 tsp vinegar
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules

Add dry ingredients to wet in batches, and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl.

Using a 1/4-cup scoop, place batter on prepared pan, about six scoops per pan.  Bake for 18 minutes, and transfer to cooling rack.


Filling:

2 cans full-fat coconut milk, that has been in the fridge for at least 6 hours (only use the thick part at the top)
2 Tbsp confectioner's sugar

(I've had the best results with this brand)

Whip with electric mixer until fluffy (will thicken even more in the fridge).


Scoop a quarter cup onto half of your cooled pies, and lid with the other half.


The taste test...

 
Oh my...
 
 Nom....nom...

 

Ummm....
Store the survivors in the fridge...







 

No comments:

Post a Comment