Friday, April 6, 2012

Clean-out-the-Fridge Cabbage Sausage & Bean Skillet



This recipe actually began as a real recipe...from the "Quick-Fix Vegetarian" cookbook by Robin Robertson.  A neighbor friend was hoeing out some cookbooks and had me peruse them before she brought them to the church's rummage sale.  I picked this one out, only to realize a few nights later when I finally got to look through it that it was all vegan!  Bonus!

Anyway, the original was pretty basic...veg sausage links, onion, and a package of preshredded coleslaw, sauteed up with oil and salt and pepper. 

I had half a head of cabbage to use up, a couple Field Roast sausages (at our co-op they come frozen, and by the time I get home they've mostly thawed out, and I have this idea in my head after something's been frozen it can't be refrozen or ELSE!, and really I only want a sausage once in awhile, not four in one week....hence all the time having "leftover sausages"...how's that for a run-on?), and a bowl of chickpeas I had soaked and cooked and again, never got around to freezing or doing something with all of them.  So, in the end it turned from me following a recipe to searching through my fridge to find other stuff I could throw in the pan.   It went like this:

Coconut oil
1/2 a small green cabbage, sliced thin
2 links Field Roast Italian sausage, diced
1 onion, sliced
About 3 cups of cooked chickpeas
2/3 of a pear (my daughter had started it but didn't finish...and having mostly German blood cells coursing through me, given the cabbage and the sausage, I had been thinking "apples" anyway....I diced it up and threw it in)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat the coconut oil in a skillet and saute the chickpeas and onion until onion is softened. 


Add the sausage, and brown.  Add some water if needed.  Finally add the pear and cabbage and cook until tender.  Season to taste. 




I served this over quinoa and alongside some, yes, leftover roasted red peppers.  The first night I sprinkled it with nooch.  For lunch over the next couple days I shook on some liquid aminos (soy sauce). 




No comments:

Post a Comment