Sunday, April 15, 2012

For the Love of Biscuits (GF!)



I get my love of biscuits from my dad.  I made him a dessert this weekend because today's his birthday, but I'll share that with you another time.  Today is about biscuits.  They are rustic and basic.  They are savory, sweet, buttery, flaky, and dense.  I love them.  I love them.  I love them. I love them most with a big dollop of jam.  I love them with butter too.  I love them with gravy.  But I could even just eat them plain.

We were just discussing this love of biscuits yesterday with some friends and my parents (my mom, however, does not like them - inconceivable!), so they were on the brain.  And then when I realized the strawberries in the fridge were starting to mold this morning, I knew what I had to do. 

I had just clipped a recipe for gluten-free biscuits out of a vegetarian magazine a few days ago, so I thought I'd give it a whirl...altered to be vegan and with an added splash of vanilla to make some uber yummy strawberry shortcakes.

1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup potato flour
2 packets stevia (I use Sweet Leaf)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
3/4 cup soy milk + 1 tsp AC vinegar
1-2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Lightly coat a baking sheet with EB butter, and set aside.

Mix together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  Cut in the butter until pebbly.  Add the milk/vinegar, and mix just until the dough comes together.  Work with your hands and form into a disk. 

On a lightly floured surface, pat out the dough until about 1 inch thick.
Cut into rounds (I used a 2-1/2 inch cutter and got about 10 biscuits).




Place on prepared sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.




I was surprised just how good these GF biscuits were...I'm thinking this will be my go-to recipe from now on.  Deeelish!



The omnis in the family topped theirs with sliced organic strawberries and local whipped cream.




I wished I had some whipped coconut cream on hand for a pretty and complete strawberry shortcake picture for you, but really...as far as my tastebuds go...I was quite content with my jam.  A 3-bite count of comfort food perfection.



No comments:

Post a Comment