Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Strawberry "Shake"



Just a quickie here from Busyville today...I'm procrastinating cleaning my house for the in-laws tonight (hub's birthday...) and procrastinating the work-out DVD I should be squeezing into my afternoon too.  My daughter stayed home today because of a sore gimpy ankle that miraculously 80% improved about an hour into the morning...after a heating pad and mommy kisses were applied.  We're still arguing about which actually did the trick.  Maybe it was a combination of the two.

Anyway, she asked for a smoothie just now.  And we thought it was going to be a boring concoction, only finding strawberries in the freezer, as opposed to the mixed berries we usually use.  But what was born was some darn yummy!  My first lick off the blender cover brought me back to days of old, stirring up milk and strawberry Nesquik powder from a tin can at my mom's kitchen table. 



I hadn't planned on sharing this simplistic creation while I was putting it together, so forgive the absence of exact measurements:

About 1 cup frozen organic strawberries
1 large frozen banana
About 1 Tbsp maple syrup
Original soymilk (enough to blend it smooth - about a cup?)

Whir in your blender for a couple minutes, til silky smooth. 




This of course is thicker and colder than that strawberry milk from almost three (ouch) decades ago, but nostalgic and delicious just the same. As I'm finishing this entry up, I hear the sounds of a straw sucking at the bottom of an empty glass from the other room...

A kiss from mom, and your afternoon is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment