Thursday, February 9, 2012

Creamy Sunflower Penne



I grow increasingly more annoyed with the vegan recipes titled "mac and cheez" or the like.  I think it leaves us open for flavor failure.   I drew inspiration for this recipe from the PPK site but changed some of the ingredients and a lot of the cooking method.  It's seeds and vegetables (not cheese), peeps.  Forewarn your taste buds.  It is, however, pretty tasty; and I found it was better the next day after it had time to mellow (and I threw in some leftover peas - mmm).  I have a recipe that I liked even better...somewhere...with cashews and roasted red peppers.  I'll have to dig it up sometime and share.  In the meantime, this makes for good, healthy, (not to mention gluten-free/nut-allergy friendly) fare.




Soak 1 cup of unroasted sunflower seeds in water for at least a couple hours.  Drain.

In a saucepan, boil 3-4 cups of water and add:
1 bay leaf
2 carrots, sliced
1 potato, diced
1 onion, chopped
Pinch of salt



Boil til fork tender, covered.

Preheat your oven to 350.

Meanwhile, boil 8 oz of rice penne pasta for 5 minutes. Drain, and pour into a casserole dish.

Put the boiled veggies, 2 cups of their broth, and the sunflower seeds in a blender.  Add:
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp lemon juice (I didn't have any, but I think it's probably a good addition)




Blend for a good 3 minutes, til nice and creamy.  Then pour over the penne.




Top with buttered/oiled bread crumbs.




Bake for 25 minutes.









No comments:

Post a Comment