Friday, February 3, 2012

Lentil Spinach Soup



I've made this a couple times; it's just the recipe off the Bob's Red Mill Red Lentil bag, changed ever so slightly to include more spinach.  My husband isn't a lentil fan (I can't figure it)...my youngest daughter won't even try it, of course...but my older daughter proclaimed "I could eat this all day long" (I'm with her).  So, you'll have to be your own judge. 

If you're not a spinach lover, don't be afraid to try this, or just leave it out (the original lentil soup recipe called for only half a cup).  Baby spinach is very mild - your taste buds won't even know it's there, but your body will thank you.

1 onion, chopped
EVOO (few turns around the pot)
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1 14.5-oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cups red lentils
8 cups water
2+ cups baby spinach, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp vinegar (I used AC)
Salt & paper to taste



In a soup pot, heat oil and cook onion, celery, and carrots until onions are tender. 
Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook a couple minutes.






Add lentils, water, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for an hour. 






Stir in spinach and vinegar....




...and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment