Saturday, February 11, 2012

Humble Tarts


It all started when my husband requested an apple pie last week.  He's diabetic and doesn't get to share in the goodies I make for the rest of us, so I was happy to oblige.  Except when I went to make it I realized I only had 5 apples - not enough for a respectable pie.  So, I figured I'd make a single-crusted tart of sorts. 




A couple days later, with the other half of the pie dough, I made a mixed-berry tart for my aunt and uncle to round out a soup & bread meal I brought to them (stay tuned for those coming attractions). 




This particular crust calls for some patience, but it's really mostly freezer/refrigerator time; and the taste and texture are worth it.

The Crust:
2-1/2 cups unbleached AP flour
1 tsp sugar (I used 1/2 tsp Domino Light, which is a stevia/sugar blend)
1 cup Earth Balance butter (or a combo of EB and shortening)
1/3 cup ice water

The Apple Filling:
5 Macintosh apples - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3/4 cup sugar (or about 1/4 cup Domino Light)
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash nutmeg
1 Tbsp flour



The Berry Filling:
3-1/2 cups frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
1 Tbsp tapioca starch
1/4 cup sugar (or 2 Tbsp Domino Light)
Splash of vanilla extract
Juice of 1/2 an orange




To make the crust: 
Put the dry ingredients, the water, and the butter (separately) into the freezer for 30 minutes.




After it's chilled, process the dry ingredients for a few seconds, and then add the butter (dice it up a bit first), pulsing in short bursts until you get a coarse, pea-like consistency. 




Gradually add the ice water, pulsing just until it forms into larger clumps (but not one mass). 




Remove the dough from the processor, form into a ball, and divide in half.   Put it in the fridge, wrapped, for at least 30 minutes (or as long as a few days).




After it's chilled, roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 14-15" circle (I rolled mine right out on a parchment-lined baking stone)  This dough, I find, cracks easily, but don't get frustrated.  It patches back together nicely and is actually perfect for this sort of rustic-looking dessert.




To make the fillings:
Simply mix all the ingredients together.  Pile in the middle of the prepared dough.






Now wrap the filling with the outer edges of the dough. 




I brushed the berry tart with almond-coconut milk and sprinkled with sugar (since it was a gift, I wanted it to look prettier).




Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven. 

The apple tart baked for 45 minutes....




....the mixed-berry tart for about 35 minutes.




Note:  As a precautionary measure (your smoke detector will thank you), put foil on the bottom of your oven to catch any runaway juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment