Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Secret Agent Chocolate Pudding



A friend forwarded me the original recipe for this chocolate pudding.  I had some avocados to use up, so I set out to whip up a batch and test it on the girls and billy goats that afternoon (because who better to judge pudding than kids!?). 

I served and watched with anticipation.  They seemed to enjoy the first few bites, but then eventually all their little dishes ended up on the counter still two thirds full.  Damn. 

Now, the original had almost twice the cocoa, more salt than I thought it needed, and used water for the liquid.  I personally loved the dark chocolaty-ness with that bit of fruity brightness in the background, but I understood that it was a bit too strong (dark) for their immature little palates. 

So...round 2.  Less cocoa, and the substitution of nondairy milk for the water, to give a more milk-chocolate texture and appeal.  There is no greater joy than watching your 8-year-old, hates-everything daughter's eyes close in ecstasy as she spoons one of the world's most nutritious fruits unknowingly into her mouth (and then fight her sister the next day for the last serving in the bowl). Secret agent motherhood is so fulfilling.




1 avocado, peeled and pitted (of course)
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup vanilla oat milk

Blend all in a food processor till completely smooth, and refrigerate (it is delicious right out of the processor but only gets better the longer it chills, so try not to gobble it up right off).




You'll probably want to make a double batch; I generally do.  This could be used as a frosting or pie filling as well.  I can't tell you how yummy it really is, so don't knock it til you try it. 




My mom made instant pudding for me and my two brothers pretty regularly when we were kids.  This is just as easy, just as tasty, but so much healthier.  Mom always served it in little glass dessert dishes too, so find some at a yard sale and make it extra special.


1 comment: