Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Go-To Veggie Soup



This is my standard veggie soup recipe.  I can't even remember where I found it - it's just here scribbled on a piece of note paper, wrinkled and stained from use.  I've taken this soup tailgating, to loved ones recovering from surgery, and I make it for myself quite often since the ingredients are so basic I almost always have everything on hand. 

(so tasty even the carnivores can't resist)



In a soup pot, cook until translucent:
1/4 cup olive or grapeseed oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced

Add, and cook for 15 minutes:
4 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups cubed butternut squash




Add, and simmer for 45 minutes:
4 cups broth
8 cups water
2 potatoes, cubed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Add, and simmer another 10 minutes:
4 cups finely chopped kale
1 can white beans



When the soup is finished cooking, put 3 cups through a blender or food processor and return to the pot. 

Mix and serve.



...and tomorrow, the bread...

No comments:

Post a Comment