Thursday, March 15, 2012

Guilty Pleasure Skillet



I have a general aversion to fake meat.  For several reasons:  1) I don't miss the texture/consistency of meat; 2) the long and scary ingredients list can't be any healthier (and may be even worse) than chewing on a charcoal-covered chicken thigh; and 3) for all the effort of that long list of ingredients, most just don't taste good flavorwise.

Pass the beans, please. 

There are, however, a couple exceptions to my rules.  Once or twice a month, when I'm in a hurry or the fridge and pantry are bare, you might find me breaking out a Field Roast sausage or a bag of Gardein "Mandarin Chick'n."  I believe the ingredients are generally wholesome...containing words such as "potato...apple...pepper...ancient grains...fruit puree..." rather than nothing but  "-oids...-ates...-ides..." The Gardein is what I worked with last night.  It's actually kind of addictive, in its crispy sweet and savory glory; but I think just knowing it's in my freezer keeps me satiated the other 28 or 29 days of the month when I'm not in need of a quicky meal. 

I make this dish different every time, but I always add a citrus and greens.




1-2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 pkg Gardein Mandarin Chick'n
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
1 blood orange, peeled, sectioned, and diced
Handful of fresh baby spinach

Heat the oil in a hot skillet, and saute the chick'n and edamame until browned and heated through. 




Add the package of sauce that comes in the Gardein package, along with the blood orange dices. 



Finally add in the spinach.  Fold all together. 




Serve over brown rice or noodles. 




The hardest part about this dish is getting the leftovers from the pan to a container to the fridge without gobbling them up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment