Friday, March 23, 2012

Thriving on Pizza



As an omni, pizza was my favorite food.  As a vegan, it's hard to come by a pie that really makes me go "ooooh."  So I went into this recipe from the Thrive book  (Brendan Brazier) with only hopes of a nutrition-packed dinner, rather than one that would be particularly palate pleasing.  But I was stupefied to discover that it was both!  Super yummy, multilayered, and with a bit of kick from the red pepper.  By far the tastiest pizza I've had in some time - and uber healthy too.  I'm anxious to try his other crust and topping variations.

Brendan makes his own tomato sauce, but I just used some organic marina from a jar.  I was going to make his nooch sauce but then realized I had some Daiya mozzerella that needed to be used up, so I just speckled the top of the pizza with it, not wanting to mask the flavor of the other ingredients.  As I move along in my food journey, I become less and less a fan of faux cheese.

As usual, I made a few adjustments to the original recipe, for both crust and toppings.

The Crust:
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup cooked anasazi beans
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder

The Toppings:
Marinara sauce
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
1/2 onion, diced thin
1/2 medium sweet potato, shaved with a peeler
2 large button mushrooms, shaved with a peeler
Pinch of salt and red pepper flakes
Daiya mozzarella-style shreds




Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Blend all the crust ingredients in a food processor til a ball starts to form. 




Spread on an oiled baking sheet or stone, to about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness. 




Top with marinara, then the veggies, salt and pepper flakes, and shreds.






Bake for 45 minutes.






On day 2 the crust is a bit crumbly, but I'm not offended by having to use a fork.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment