Monday, March 12, 2012

Mud Season Rice Bowl




I've been busy.  Spare time and creativity are at a low, what with the kids' basketball games, play rehearsals, and sugaring going on all once.  Plus I've been squeezing in some extra workouts and have the spring cleaning bug as well....so really the fact that the family is getting fed at all is a miracle in and of itself.

But I wanted to share with you a bowl I've been eating the past three nights.  It's so tasty and comforting.  And, well, super quick and easy.

You'll need:
*Brown rice (I TRY to have a pot in the fridge at all times)
*Baby spinach (another staple)
*Broccoli sprouts (a new find, and a new favorite)
*BBQ tempeh (the first two nights I used a pre-marinated, locally made BBQ tempeh...I can't recall the brand right now, but it's delicious...they make a teryaki one too...but tonight I just used some flax tempeh w/a splash of bottled BBQ sauce and sauteed it together with a little olive oil)
*Annie's brand Shitake Sesame dressing (yet another fridge staple)

I can't help think of the freckle-faced chunky kid in the movie "The Sandlot" telling the newbie how to build a s'more up in their treehouse...."First you take the graham..."  In this case, first you take the rice...


Reheat rice in a nice big bowl.


Top with the fresh baby spinach.


Top with the sauteed BBQ tempeh.


Top with a generous pile of broccoli sprouts


Drizzle with the Shitake Sesame dressing.


Grab a fork, mosey down to the sugarhouse, find yourself a seat, and savor yourself fifteen minutes of downtime.


No comments:

Post a Comment