Sunday, March 4, 2012

Smoothie for Upper Body Woes



I was in a dressing room the other day, trying on running clothes for summer (as I explained to my husband, they were 30% off).  I loved the new skorts I picked out.  My legs, even in the pale misery of the first days of March under fluorescent lighting, didn't look half bad - yay for running!  But the tops, as expected, fell short of my hopes.  So, I decided enough procrastinating and lamenting the fact that I should just be running running running...it was time to incorporate some regular upper body workouts. 

And so it commenced this morning, and my two daughters joined me, sweating, groaning, and giggling it up in our living room to Tony Horton's charmingly annoying personality.  I used my dumbbells for weights, and the girls used cans of beans for theirs.  And after a shower and the jello feeling left my arms, I was able to reach up into the cupboard for my blender and make a smoothie for lunch.  The ingredients are kind of random but it came out pretty smooth and benign-tasting for what is in it (Swiss chard is one of those foods I'm trying to love because I don't love it, and so far so good).



1 heaping cup of rainbow Swiss chard
1 orange, peeled
1 cup frozen strawberries
1-1/2 Tbsp each hemp seeds and chia seeds
2 prunes
1 cup soy milk
Ice cubes

Blend a couple minutes til good and smooth.  The color seemed kind of drab, so I put it in a pretty bowl instead of my usual clear glass and slurped it with a spoon instead of a straw.

I'm looking forward to my run tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment