Friday, March 9, 2012

Not-So-Beany Bean Brownies



I'll admit it.  Will you?  Black bean brownies just aren't good.  I mean, I'll eat them...cuz they're on my counter...but they aren't crave worthy, nor brownie-craving quenching.  They make neither good brownies, nor good beans!  I'm done trying to pretend!

Nevertheless, earlier this week I was having a craving and also needed a tasty but somewhat healthy after-school snack for the kids.  We'd all been living on leftover (bready) stuffing from a dinner over the weekend, so we didn't need any more empty carbs.  I remembered I had some fava bean flour in the pantry a friend had passed on to me, and that got my wheels turning.  I've mentioned before I'm far from an expert on the science of gluten-free baking; so, kids, I winged (wung?) it.  There was a recipe for banana bread on the back of the fava bean flour bag, so I gauged the amount of accompanying GF-friendly ingredients I thought would meet my brownie needs and was pretty happy with the outcome!  I daresay these are even better than some of the other vegan brownies I've made with white/wheat flours. 

1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup potato flour
3/4 cup fava bean flour
2 Tbsp tapioca starch
1/4 tsp xantham gum
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup chocolate nondairy milk *
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips

*I had a single-serve box of EdenSoy brand chocolate milk in the fridge I had bought for a field trip and needed to use up before the expiration date.  This brand is sweetened with maple syrup and has other nice features, but is NOT gluten free - if you're making these for billy goats with GF needs.

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.  Add the wet ingredients, and mix.  Fold in the chocolate chips.



Pour into a sprayed 8 x 8-inch baking pan...




...and bake for 30 minutes. 





The billy goats and girls gobbled a couple of these down with some organic strawberries, and then chased each other around the house with chocolate on their faces.  If they only knew they were eating beans...sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment