Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Baked Oatmeal




I can't get my kids excited about sitting down to a bowl of mush for breakfast, so it makes me smile inside that they go wild for this recipe.  They consider it a special treat, and I know it's doing their little hearts good (but I'll never tell). 

If you don't have non-dairy yogurt on hand (as I seldom do), just use more milk or applesauce.  For this batch I actually was out of applesauce so used extra yogurt.  Also use whatever sweetener you prefer, liquid or granular.  This recipe is uber forgiving.

3 cups oats
1 cup raisins (optional - my kids opt out)
1/4 cup maple syrup (plus 2 Tbsp for drizzling on the top)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon (plus more for dashing on the top)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup plain non-dairy yogurt (I used almond)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut)
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp flax seed meal mixed with 1/3 cup water
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. 
Whisk dry ingredients together in one bowl.  Whisk wet ingredients in another.  Then combine the two. 




Pour into an 8 x 8-inch pan that's been coated with baking spray.  Top with cinnamon and 2 Tbsp maple syrup. 




Bake for about 30 minutes.  Cool to warm before cutting.




Serve with non-dairy yogurt and fruit, or just grab a square and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment