Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter Kale Stew



My husband reads the newspaper every day on his break, out on the road in his grader or his dumptruck; and sometimes he brings it home for me because he found a comic, a headline, a Dear Abby, or something else he thinks I might find of interest or amusing.  Last week it was a recipe for soup.  It had kale, and it had garbanzo peas, and apparently it had Amber's Tweaking written all over it. 



2 Tbsp EVOO
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 pound kale, coarsely chopped (I didn't have quite a pound, so made up the difference with swiss chard)
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, drained
1 big can crushed tomatoes
2 links (or more) Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage sausage, diced
4 cups veggie stock

Heat oil in a soup pot.  Add onions and potatoes.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 




Add garlic, bay leaves, and kale. 
Tip: I keep a tub of peeled garlic cloves in my freezer; whenever I need some I can just take a few out, and voila.


(I have a certain affection for bay too....)

Cover pot for a few minutes to wilt the greens. 





Add salt and pepper, beans, tomatoes, and sausage.  Bring soup to a boil, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.





The original recipe called for chourico, and since I didn't have any spicy sausage I should've added some paprika and other spices.  But all in all it was very good and even better when I went to put it away later (nom nom nom at the stove). There is a vegan chourico on the market, but kind of icky tasting/textured IMO; and the ingredients don't stand up to the quality of Field Roast.

At the table I added more salt and pepper and lots of nooch.  A perfect winter dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment