Friday, January 20, 2012

Blondies on the Fly




Last evening after working on and off all day, with a few more hours still to put in, it hit me out of the blue - a wicked craving for brownies!  I tried to shun it, but I kept finding myself looking for recipe options online.  I'd distract myself with laundry, dishes, other housework, the kids' homework...only to find myself peering into the container of cocoa.  There wasn't enough.  And my tubs and bags of flour were nil too.  I had fava bean flour, garbanzo bean flour, millet flour, and others...but I'm not confident enough in the gluten-free world just yet to throw such lovelies together and expect a palatable and structurally sound outcome.  I finally found a crumpled bag of King Arthur in the back of my cupboard...just enough white whole wheat flour for half a batch of blondies.  So away I went with my whisk at 7 PM.  I knew I would not sleep otherwise, with visions of chocolate chunks surrounded by moist sweet crumbs dancing in my head.

The following is what I used last night.  Syrup/sugar, flour, oil, non-dairy milk can be swapped out for what you have enough of in *your*  pantry/fridge.

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with baking spray.

1-3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup nondairy semisweet chocolate chunks




Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.  Mix wet ingredients in another. 
Add wet to dry, along with the chocolate chunks, mixing until just blended. 




Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.




Enjoy warm with a cool, frothy glass of almond milk.  Contentment at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment