Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Our Daily Bread Soup




I've been reminded a couple times this week why my best friend is my best friend.  She's an omni foodie, and/but she sent me this e-mail:  "Ok, so I've been pondering the Castilian Ham Soup that I just made (we were raving about it back in Dec when you were here).  The whole concept of sopped up broth and bread is just too tempting for you not to share in a vegan version."  This was followed by several sites featuring Bread Soup recipes that came close to her recipe.

Omni support and encouragement =  bliss to this vegan's heart, as it is a bit rare in these parts.  She's also been "pinning" my blog pics up on Pinterest because I haven't found time to get there myself.  I'd also like to thank those friends (you know who you are) for sharing this blog with others!  Again, very encouraging and heartening.

Now, back to that soup...I looked at all those sites and came up with my own recipe that used what I had and/or knew I could get my hands on this week.  And so I give you Our Daily Bread Soup...for Jessica, and all you others.  This is a bit of a labor of love, but do not be fooled by its simplistic appearance - much like true friendship it has many layers to enjoy and a depth of flavor that can't be found just anywhere. 



This makes a big pot, so today's daily bread will nourish you tomorrow and the next day too...

The Soup:
2-1/4 cup dried navy beans (or other small white bean)
9-11-cup combo of veg broth, water, white wine (divided)
1/4 cup EVOO
3 medium onions, diced (divided)
3/4 tsp thyme
5 small carrots, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 leeks (white parts), sliced
1 lb potatoes, diced
42 oz fire-roasted canned tomatoes
6 cups baby spinch, roughly chopped
1-1/2 Tbsp dried basil
Salt & Pepper, to taste

The Bread:
A soft baguette, cut into 1/2 to 1-inch cubes
A generous amount of EVOO

Soak the beans overnight in water.  Drain.  Pour into a soup pot along with about 9 cups of water and broth, the thyme, and half the diced onion.  Boil for an hour, covered.




Meanwhile in a large pan or skillet, saute the leeks and remainder of onion in the EVOO, til tender.




Add carrots, garlic, potatoes, pepper flakes, and finally the tomatoes.






When the beans have boiled their hour, add the skillet mixture into the soup pot and simmer until the potato and carrots are tender.  Then add basil and spinach, and finish off with a couple cups of wine.




If more liquid is needed to cover the veggies and be "soupy" enough, add more wine and/or water/broth. Turn off the heat.




Preheat oven to 450. 
Put bread cubes on a baking sheet and generously add EVOO.  Toss.




Bake for 20 minutes, flipping once after 10 minutes.  You want them nice and toasty and firm but not overcooked and dark.



I suggest letting the soup cool a bit so you don't burn your tongue, then ladle into a bowl, top with the hot bread and listen to it sizzle! 




When the idea of bread soup was first mentioned last month, my first thought was..."Really? Soggy bread?"  But I can tell you that's not the case.  I can't describe the texture thing, but it's just incredibly yummy.  You'll be going back for a second helping even though you're full from the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment