Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cherry Almond Muffins

Nothing breakfasty ever really sounds good at 5:30 a.m. when I start work here at my home office.  Today's options seem especially nil.  I could have leftover Chinese...or a storebought bagel (I could even top it with some baba ghannouj hummus to make it remotely nutritious-esque...?)  Eh.

So, I ponder for a couple hours, munch on a piece of seedy brittle, make some tea...and then...

Here it is, mid January in Vermont, and we're finally getting some snow.  School is canceled, it's cold out there, cozy in here...a perfect morning to bake some muffins!




Cherry Almond Muffins

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine in mixer:
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp flax seed mixed with 3 Tbsp water

In a separate bowl, mix:
1-1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal or your favorite multigrain hot cereal (today I used brown rice farina)
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder

Add dry mixture to wet mixture in mixer bowl alternately with:
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk. 

Add:
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups frozen sweet cherries




Coat muffin pan with baking spray.  Scoop batter into pan.
 



Sprinkle tops of muffins with:
20 almonds, chopped
1 tsp sugar



Bake for 25 minutes. 




Let the muffins rest for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.





1 comment:

  1. Spent a cozy day in my basement cleaning, subsisting on coffee and tortilla chips. These look tasty so I should try out my new muffin top pan (I even have cherries in the freezer)

    ReplyDelete