Monday, January 9, 2012

Sunday Skillet

I have to be in the mood for sweet potato, and apparently I was last night.  I usually use squash for this type of dish, but I think we've overdone that this week.  Here's a pretty common dinner for me, varied a little by whatever beans, greens, etc I have on hand.  And I thought some salty crispy tempeh would be a tasty new element too, and I was right.   Like most of the dinners I prepare, the leftovers make easy lunches during the week.

EVOO and/or sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
1 very large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 cup each water and vegetable broth
1 bunch collard greens, chopped thin
1/2 of a big can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 8-oz package of tempeh, halved lengthwise and sliced
Tamari or soy sauce

In a saute pan, heat a few tsp of EVOO and add onion.  Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel and dice the sweet potato. 



When onions are ready, add the sweet potato along with the broth and water.  Stir up the nibbly bits from the bottom of the pan, cover, and let simmer for 5 minutes until the potato is tender.




If you like to eat the thick stems of your greens, chop them and add (the stems only) now with the potato.  I set mine aside for the bunnies.



Add in the collard greens, leaving them right on top, and cover again for 5-7 minutes.

In a separate smaller pan, heat more EVOO or sunflower oil, and add the tempeh.


 Cook until browned and crispy.  Add a good splash of tamari all over, and stir. 



When the greens are tender, add the chickpeas.  Give it all a good stir and let heat through.


Top with the tempeh, and serve.




I ate this as is for dinner, but you could serve it over rice.  I shook on some nooch at the table too. 
So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment