Monday, January 23, 2012

Veggie Stir-Fried Rice

It was Sunday.  The in-laws were coming for dinner.  I had a full to-do list and didn't want to spend all afternoon in the kitchen.  I also needed something that would please eyebrow-raising omnis and vegans alike.  It's one thing to experiment on your husband and kids, because if they don't like it - there's the pantry door to the cereal boxes.  But you can't really say that to your mother-in-law and expect good things for the future.  So, I thought rice...and then I thought stir-fry.  And then I thought of combining the two.  Yeah, everyone likes fried rice.   It was my meal and a side to their venison.  I also roasted a pan of cauliflower and red peppers, but I'll roast and post for you something along those lines in the future.  I doubled this recipe to feed 5 or 6 and to insure leftovers for the week. 



3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, shaved
1/2 cup cabbage, chopped
1/10 of a brick of extra-firm tofu, diced
1/2 cup canned or frozen peas
3 Tbsp sunflower oil
3 Tbsp low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1/2 tsp sage or Bell's seasoning
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ginger




Chop all your veggies and tofu. 


(once you go Vermont Soy, you'll never go back)


Heat 1-2 Tbsp of the oil in your wok or large saute pan til steaming hot. 
Add veggies (except for peas), and stir til tender. 
Add tofu, tamari, and seasonings.  Fry until heated through.




Spoon the veggie mixture onto one side of the wok. 
Add more oil to the empty side, followed by rice a cup at a time, heating and browning and adding to the veggie side.




Finally, add the peas, tossing all to heat through.




I never did make a dent in my to-do list, but good food and good company last night made the leftover chores today worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment