Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Carookies for Billy Goats




There comes a moment in the afternoon when I realize there's nothing snackworthy in the pantry that I could give to the kids when they got off the bus from school (the kids being my two girls and the two billy goats...I mean, boys...that I watch for a little while til their dad gets out of work).  So, I mix up something quick for the oven.  Yesterday it was Zookies.  Only I renamed them Carookies because I used Carrots instead of the original Zucchini called for, being January and all. 




The original recipe was passed on to me by my best friend years ago. I adjusted it to be a little healthier, then veganized it too more recently. They are fun, nutritious (at least for a cookie), and yummy for little kids and big kids alike.

Carookies:

1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbps ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup of a combo of dried fruit, choco chips, nuts, coconut flakes etc (whatever you like) - today's combo is sunflower seeds, semisweet choco chunks, and dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350.  In your mixing bowl, cream EB butter, oil, and sugar.  Add flaxseed mixture and vanilla; beat well. 



In a separate bowl, mix flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Add to wet mixture and mix well.  Add remaining ingredients.



Drop onto baking sheet (I use a 1/8 scoop).




 Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Makes 2 dozen.

And if you did a good job, the littlest billy goat will reward your heart with a "These are soooo good."










1 comment:

  1. Oooh, haven't made zookies in quite awhile. Will have to give this new variety a try :)

    ReplyDelete