Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sweet & Spicy Curried Greens n' Beans



When I became vegan, this was one of my favorite go-to dishes trying to incorporate greens into my diet.  Now it's just second nature to throw them in everything, and my family can attest I go into a little bit of a tizzy if there's not kale in my veggie bin at all times.  Last night I had collard greens that were borderline, so I opted to use those up.

1 Tbsp EVOO
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger root
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup water
1 bunch greens (mustard, kale, collard, etc), chopped
1 can beans (I used black this time), drained and rinsed
1 large (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 heaping Tbsp curry powder
1 cup raisins (or chopped dried plums, if for some reason your general store carries prunes but not raisins!?)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened plain soy milk




Heat oil, and cook onions until lightly browned.  Add ginger & red pepper flakes. 


Tip: I keep ginger root in a bag in my freezer. Whenever I need some (rarely) I just use my peeler to shave the skin off and then peel or microplane off whatever amount I need.


Add water and greens; cook until wilted.




Add raisins, beans, tomato sauce, curry, and salt.  Mix well.





Stir in soy milk until heated through.




Serve over rice. 

Still one of my favorites...

No comments:

Post a Comment